Monday, July 7, 2008

Let the good times roll, ...again!

Now for more of the good times that I have been reminded of.



-having relatives come pick us up in central Iowa when Grandpa Caccia's car broke down on the way to Utah- he had a Lincoln that he let us borrow since it didn't get driven much any more- bad idea since the motor seized up because it had sat around so much

- being able to get last minute airline tickets so we could fly to Utah for my sister's wedding - she was marrying my best friend I hadn't seen for four years because of our mission's

- realizing that I might be earning enough money to buy a brand new car

- deciding on a specific car and ordering it exactly the way I wanted it

- picking up my new Buick GS 400 and taking it out for the first drive

- stepping on the gas and feeling that surge of power as the four barrel carburetor kicks in

- being able to move out of our tiny apt. into the house next door

- going out to the lake with Tom & Jan Clark to go water skiing-I think I'm becoming addicted

- having a brand new car to drive on our family vacation to Utah - all four or us.

- jumping into the swimming pool after a long day of driving

- being able to sleep in your own bed again after an extended vacation

- surviving the crash that totaled my new Buick with only a bump on my forehead

- managing to purchase a new Plymouth Satellite Sebring with the measly settlement I got from the insurance company

- finally buying the last box of diapers since the two boys were now potty trained

- passing my last class to qualify for a Journeyman Tool & Gage Maker's certificate - it helped me to get more than one job

-loading every worldly posession into a modest U-Haul truck for the move to Utah - we had moved up from the Chevy Convertible to the truck and an orange Plymouth

- arriving in Utah without someone stealing our stuff - now what do we do?

My parents were kind enough to allow us to stay with them for a while in order to arrange for an apt and look for a job. Luckily we managed to find both the first week and so we were now ready to move on to Salt Lake and settle in for a while. I went to work for Wasatch Foundry which was night and day opposite of Val-U-Tool where I had worked for the past 4 years. It was a change but the basic skills required were pretty much the same. Working there I met a fellow who was to become my best friend for the next 4 years. We were now close enough to visit my all of my family on a regular basis but then the family vacations became a trip to Michigan to visit with my wife's family again. Well enough for today, now that we are settled in Salt Lake I will pause and pick up from there in a future blog.

No comments: