Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How to get more good times---

I am going to stray away from my chronology of the good times to share some of my feelings about what causes them. The root of the discussion is free agency; how important it is, how wise use of it brings about good times and how the use of it affects others. To start with, agency is the very basis of our life here on earth and actually one of the reasons that we are here. It is indeed our Heavenly Father's plan. Developing the ability to make good choices is both the key to our success and perhaps the hardest thing we will do here in this life. With the ever increasing multitude of influences attempting to sway us away from the "right choice" it only becomes more difficult. Yet the only way to obtain or increase "the good times" is to become better at making the right choice.
The reason for that is we are given the right to make our own choices but we have no control over the result or consequences of those choices. We choose and then, as the song goes, "let the consequences follow". Unfortunately these end results of our choices are not always easily seen at the time we make the choice. This tells us that perhaps we should try to look at and understand what result our choice will have. I totally support the principal of agency and the right of others to make their own choices. I have been blessed by the results of good choices and I have unfortunately also been confronted with the results of bad choices. It is however the choices of others and the result that they have had on me that sometimes causes me the most concern. Part of that is because I care about them and want them to experience the good times.
The other part of that is the grief that someone elses poor choice to bring to many around them.
I would like to suggest some possible choices for you to ponder on the consequences of those choices to others. In doing so I am only attempting to share some of my feelings and not to condemn anyone. Again, we all have the right to choose but hopefully we will attempt to consider the consequences of those choices as well as the effect on those around us.
What if-----

I choose to take something that doesn't belong to me?
I choose to say things which aren't true about others?
I choose to start smoking?
I choose to eat more than is healthy for me?
I find better things to do than go to church?
I see no harm in being intimate with those other than my spouse?
School is a bore so I have better things to do with my time?
I fail to complete assigned responsibilities that are given to me?
I choose to get even when I feel that I have been offended or wronged?
This job is too tough for me so I choose to quit?
My "friends" offer me a drink and I accept, not wanting to offend them?
I choose to end an eternal commitment by filing for divorce?
I have the attitude that I am going to make sure that I get what is coming to me regardless?
I can always change tomorrow since I am busy or too tired today?
I've decided that living part of what I believe is good enough- it is better than none?
The plan is simply enjoy today because tomorrow may never come?

Well enough attempt at stimulation for today. I need this exercise once in a while in order to try and get my priotities back in line. It doesn't always work for me since I do have the right of agency but the consequences are ever present. Hopefully it will help to spark a desire for change in you as well. Agency is the best gift we have been given but only wise use of it will increase the value. The good times lie just around the corner as well as in the past but will we do what is needed to enjoy them? Next time back to more of the good times. Oh, and by the way some of our good times come as a result of good choices others have made so help those you care about by making good choices.

1 comment:

Becky and Ben said...

I think it is so true what you are saying in this post. I really wish some people I know would read it with a clear and open mind. I think it would help them get their lives back on track. It's a good reality check.